Saturday, July 2, 2011

Art and dogs

Hi!  Well, art and dogs don't really have anything to do with one another - that's just what I'm thinking of today as I decompress from the hectic-ness of work...  


Yesterday I received a catch-up call from Regina, the owner of one of my favorite shops in Fort Myers - The Owl and the Pussycat.  This shop is my "candy store" - everything in it, though not edible, is deliciously beautiful!  Regina hosts demos on Wednesday mornings at 10:30 where we learn the art of fine art (and usually some art history as well!).  She also teaches art classes every Saturday morning and many days during the Florida "season" (Jan.-April).  Classes range from making fine art cards to book-making and everything in between.  If you are looking for a way to boost your creative juices, this is the place to visit (and stay for awhile!).  Regina and the talented ladies who show up each week will inspire you to push yourself out of your comfort zone and go make art!

On the dog front, I have a golden retriever named Sammy who turned 6 yesterday - Happy Birthday, Sammalamma!  (The first time I met her 5 years ago she was Sammalammadingdong - it had a ring to it...).  She makes me smile every day.  If you have a dog you know what I'm talking about - how can you not smile at them at least a dozen times during the day?  They love you when you come home after being gone, be it an hour or three weeks, and all they want is your attention (and ANYTHING EDIBLE (or even NOT edible...see below!!)).  At least, that's Sammy anyway...


My girl who likes to eat rocks!
Look at that smile...

While out for a walk last evening the sprinkler system was on.  Have you ever watched a dog "attack" a sprinkler to get a drink?  It makes me laugh every time!  Sammy attacks that spraying water as if she needs to beat it back with her mouth - and she keeps going after it, as if she can make it stop.  I love to watch her and tonight she was in fine form - her whole head was in that sprinkler and she could have cared less - she just wanted to "get it"! It's the little things...


Other things that make me smile:  Sam loves the spa when it's hot - she has the "belly up to the bar" down pat!  And when my friend gave me the mug with a golden retriever in the bottom, I had to use it for my daily milk chug - I just liked the nose sticking out, that's all!


Where's my umbrella drink?
A little milk with my Golden...


Upon closing, seeing that it's the 4th of July weekend, why not read the Declaration of Independence and find out what our founding fathers were thinking and going through so many years ago.  It will open your eyes and make you think -  I guarantee it!


Stay safe and play nicely with your neighbors!  God Bless America and all of our fine men and women serving around the world so that we may enjoy our freedom!!!


Cheers and smiles, VG


Mark 12:28-31
"...One of the teachers of the law came and heard (them) debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”  “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these.”




No comments:

Post a Comment